Louise joined Appleby in 2020 as a Consultant. She has extensive offshore experience and regularly advises international banking and commercial clients on the Cayman Islands legal aspects of finance transactions. Her practice areas include secured lending, project finance, acquisition finance and fund finance. Louise also has vast expertise in private/corporate jet and superyacht financings. Prior to joining Appleby, Louise worked as a partner and senior associate at two leading offshore law firms in Cayman. Louise has frequently been recommended as a lawyer by Chambers & Partners, Legal 500 and IFLR and consistently recognized on Citywealth’s IFC Power Women Top 200 List.
Before moving to Cayman in 2007, Louise worked with Clifford Chance for more than seven years in its Singapore and London offices where she focused on advising international clients on multi-jurisdictional and cross-border acquisition, banking and project finance transactions.
Examples of work include:
- advising Deutsche Bank, Barclays, Goldman Sachs, J.P. Morgan and Morgan Stanley in connection with a USD1.4 billion secured acquisition financing of a 50% stake in a holding company that integrated Santander’s Asset Management businesses by Warburg Pincus and General Atlantic*;
- advising the lead arrangers (led by HSBC Securities) on a USD350 million senior secured revolving credit facility to B2Gold Corp. The facility may be increased under an accordion feature to USD450 million*;
- advising Ohio-based coal giant, Murray Energy Corp, (the largest underground coal company in the U.S.) in its acquisition of Goldman Sachs Group’s Columbian mining operation, Colombia Natural Resources*;
- advising Societe Generale Corporate & Investment Banking and BNP Paribas as lenders, in the USD75 million senior debt facility made available to Roxgold Inc. for the Yaramoko Gold Project in Burkina Faso, West Africa*;
- advising UniCredit Bank AG on the USD500 million project financing and subsequent restructuring and refinancing of its secured loan to the Endeavour Mining Group*;
- advising Bayerische Landesbank and a syndicate of lenders in relation to the proposed restructuring and refinancing of the acquisition of 25 Canada Square, Canary Wharf by AGC Equity Partners Limited*;
- advising Shimao Property Group on series of substantial note issuances including a USD600 million high-yield note offering, the issue of USD800 million senior notes, as well as a USD300 million tap bond offering on its existing USD-denominated bonds*;
- advising Credit Suisse AG in connection with the financing of various private aircrafts registered in the Cayman Islands and various super yachts registered in the Cayman Islands*;
- advising Credit Suisse Securities on various derivative trades*;
- advising on various Aircraft financings with DBV Bank SE for the acquisition of various Airbus A320-200 Aircrafts and then a lease to a Kuwaiti Airline (Jazeera Airways Company K.S.C.) *;
- advising Lone Star on the transfer of an outstanding (senior) CDO portfolio worth USD30.6 billion from Merrill Lynch to Lone Star, taking those assets off of Merrill’s balance sheet ahead of the Bank of America acquisition of Merrill Lynch.
- advising the Lenders on the security arrangements for the financing of a proposed bid for Hutchinson Telecommunications*; and
- advising Shell on the divestment of its retail and commercial oil businesses in Portugal and Spain*.
* Transaction completed prior to joining Appleby
Nottingham Law School – Distinction
Oxford Brookes University – First Class (Hons)