Laura Burns is an associate and a member of the Corporate department in Appleby’s Bermuda office. Laura’s diverse practice covers all aspects of corporate and commercial law, including banking and corporate finance with a focus on aviation finance, mergers, amalgamations, restructuring, re-domestications and the establishment and regulation of insurance vehicles and investment funds.
Laura also has experience in private client and trusts, providing advice and drafting key documents regarding the creation, management, restructuring and termination of private and commercial trusts utilising insurance and investment structures and solutions.
Laura acted on a pro bono basis in the rebranding of Vision Bermuda, formerly The Bermuda Society for the Blind, including meeting with the Joint Select Committee of the House and Senate on Private Bills and working closely alongside the leadership of the Society to achieve not only the rebranding of the Society, but also the revision and modernization of the Society’s private Act of the Bermuda Parliament.
- Purpose-built ISAC a boon for Bermuda – The Royal Gazette, Legally Speaking – October 2019
- Flexible ISAC law to offer client solutions – The Royal Gazette, Legally Speaking – June 2019
- Life insurance sector comes into its own – The Royal Gazette, Legally Speaking – March 2019
- AXIS Capital, advised Bermuda-headquartered global (re)insurer AXIS Capital in its 2020 issuance of insurance and reinsurance linked notes.
- Matterhorn Re Ltd., advised Matterhorn Re Ltd., on the launch of the company’s first catastrophe bond of 2020 under the sponsorship of Swiss Re. This represents Swiss Re’s exciting return to the cat-bond market in 2020 following the successful launch of its 2019-1 catastrophe bond, also issued through Matterhorn Re Ltd.
- Horseshoe Insurance Services Holdings Ltd., acted as counsel to the sellers of Horseshoe Insurance Services Holdings Ltd. in connection with the sale of the Horseshoe Group to Artex Risk Solutions (Holdings) Limited, a subsidiary of Arthur J. Gallagher & Co.
- Artex SAC Limited, advised Artex SAC Limited in connection with several Dodeka private catastrophe bond transactions from ILS investment fund manager Twelve Capital.
- Artex SAC Limited, advised Artex SAC Limited in connection with a $50.2M catastrophe bond transaction.
- Tailwind Re Ltd., advised Bermuda-headquartered reinsurance firm Validus Holdings on its first full catastrophe bond issuance with Tailwind Re Ltd, valued at $400M.
- First Coast Re II Pte Ltd., advised in connection with the offering of $100M Class A Principal-at-Risk Variable Rate Notes due 7 June 2023, acting through the medium of Appleby Global Listing Services (Bermuda) Ltd in its first listing as listing sponsor of this special purpose reinsurance vehicle incorporated in Singapore.
- Hoplon III, advised on the incorporation and organization of a special purpose insurer, including the formation of a purpose trust pursuant to the third ILS transaction from MyLotto24, a UK-based lottery provider owned by the Zeal Group, with a matter value of €90M.
- Thopas Re Ltd., acted as Bermuda counsel for International specialty insurer Chaucer plc in the formation and licensing of Thopas Re Ltd., a Bermuda-domiciled fully collateralized reinsurance sidecar that will provide additional capital markets backed capacity to the firm’s Chaucer Syndicate 1084’s global reinsurance portfolio.
- Bonanza Re Ltd., acted as special legal counsel in connection with the sale and issue by the client of a Series 2016-1 Class A and Class B Principal-at-Risk Variable Rate Notes issuance with a total value of $200M.
- Ursa Re Ltd., provided advice concerning the company’s third note issuance of $500M Principal-at-Risk Notes to support the risk transfer needs of the California Earthquake Authority.
- Nakama Re Ltd., acted as special legal counsel to Nakama Re Ltd in connection with the sale and issue by the company of $700M Principal-at-Risk Variable Rate Notes.
University of Warwick, Warwick Business School
University of Warwick