Anya Martin is an Associate within the dispute resolution practice group. She specialises in commercial litigation including professional negligence claims and contractual disputes, as well as contentious insolvency, regulatory disputes and reporting requirements and trust disputes.
Before joining Appleby in 2018, Anya gained dispute resolution experience both in the United Kingdom and offshore. Having trained and qualified with Berwin Leighton Paisner in London, she worked as a solicitor in that firm’s litigation practice, dealing with a wide range of commercial and trust litigation. Most recently she was an Associate in the Litigation and Dispute Resolution team at Mourant Ozannes in Guernsey where she gained particular expertise in:
Regulatory matters including contested requests under the tax information exchange agreement and disclosure requirements relating to bribery and corruption, terrorism and money laundering offences;
Insolvency, particularly involving white collar crime and claims against directors for negligence and breach of duty; and
Trust disputes, including contentious Public Trustee v. Cooper and trust variation applications, claims against trustees for breach of duty and sham trust claims.
Anya is admitted as an attorney in the Cayman Islands and as a solicitor in England and Wales (non-practising).
- Acting for Official Liquidators to obtain court approval of various steps taken by the Official Liquidators and related costs
- Advising U.S. lawyers in relation to an arbitration involving a claim of professional negligence against auditors
- Advising on the steps required for cross border enforcement of an arbitration decision
- Advising entities on the disclosure requirements in response to a tax information exchange request
- Advising liquidators and administration managers during investigations of fraud into a complex group structure*
- Advising on and assisting with disclosures in relation to suspicion of bribery, corruption and money laundering offences, including advice on tipping off and on the impact of legal privilege on disclosure requirements*
- Advising on disclosure requirements in relation to laws governing the financing of terrorism*
- Public Trustee v. Cooper applications involving cross border parties and assets*
- Applications for the variation of trust instruments*
- Advising on sham trust claims*
- Advising a trustee who, following the death of her co-trustee, found herself to be trustee de son tort of the proceeds of a potentially fraudulent tax scheme *
(*prior to joining Appleby)
Anya obtained her Graduate Diploma in Law and Postgraduate Diploma in Legal Practice, from BPP in London. She also holds a Bachelor of Arts degree in History (Honours) from the King’s College, London. She was admitted to the Cayman Islands Bar in 2018.