Ashley Fife is a Senior Associate and member of the Private Client and Trusts team in the Bermuda office. His work primarily consists of providing advice and drafting key documents regarding the creation, management, restructuring and termination of private and commercial trusts with particular emphasis on pension trusts, unit trusts and complex family structures utilising insurance and investment structures and solutions.
Ashley is listed as a Citywealth 'Leader' 2016, in which his is described as a "tremendously talented lawyer". He is also recommended by Legal 500 Caribbean 2016 and 2017 where he is described as having 'excellent technical skills and a true understanding of the offshore industry'.
Prior to joining Appleby, Ashley was the head of the legal department of the Jersey office of an international trust, funds and corporate service provider.
Admitted as a solicitor in England and Wales, Bermuda and Australia, Ashley also has considerable experience working in law firms’ estate planning, corporate and dispute resolution departments.
He is a committee member of the Bermuda branch of the Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners, was a member of the industry committee who helped draft guidelines released by Bermuda’s Ministry of Finance in respect of FATCA compliance and is a member of the specialist pension sub-committee of Bermuda’s Trust Law Advisory Group.
In 2014, he was part of delegation of the Bermuda Business Development Agency which attended STEP LatAm and presented to various firms in Mexico. He is a member of the delegation attending Brazil for STEP LatAm in 2015.
He regularly contributes articles to leading trust publications and delivers presentations on trust law.
- Adaptive Innovative Experienced Sophisticated Collaborateive Trustworthy Island, Bottom Line, Febuary 2017
- OECD reporting standards: collateral damage, Royal Gazette, January 2017
- Globalisation and the Bermuda trust boom, Royal Gazette, December 2016
- OECD's CRS: Impact on Bermuda's family offices, Royal Gazette, October 2016
- Leaky buckets and raging fires? Asset protection trusts and firewall and fraudulent transfer legislation, Trusts & Wealth Management Journal, September 2016
- Captives: For all companies, large and small?, Captive Review, September 2016
- Friend of the family - what makes Bermuda a leading location for family offices, STEP Bermuda Supplement, September 2016
- Funds in Bermuda: past, present and future, Royal Gazette, July 2016
- Bermuda's pension scheme: quirks and perks, Royal Gazette, April 2016
- Streamlining perpetuity… Amendments to Bermuda’s trusts law, Trusts Wealth Management Journal, March 2016
- Family offices and the Bermuda proposition, Royal Gazette, February 2016
- For love nor money?... A guide to trustees’ fees expenses and service agreements, Trusts Wealth Management Journal, December 2015
- Lending to trustees and managers of units trusts…What could go wrong? Butterworths Journal of International Banking and Financial Law (2015) 10 JIBFL.
- Bermuda Private Trust Companies… A market leader, Royal Gazette, 5 November 2015
- Bend me shape me…Restructuring and Reshaping Trusts in Bermuda, IFC Review, Vol. 37, 1 October 2015
- Bermuda and Mexico - Day of Deed, STEP Journal, September 2015, co-author with Patrick White, Partner- Procopio, Cory, Hargreaves & Savitch LLP
- Bermuda’s Statutory Hastings Bass- If I could turn back time, IFC Review, July 2015
- A guide to trustee minutes, written resolutions and decision-making- Trust and Trustees, advanced access, June 2015
- Truth be told- International Pension Plans in Bermuda, IFC Review, May 2015
- Bermuda’s regime for reserving and granting powers- you were always on my mind…Trust and Trustees, advanced access, May 2015
- Bermuda’s managing trustee regime- don’t you forget about me… Trust and Trustees, advanced access, May 2015
- Bermuda’s Trusts Law- Ticking all the right boxes, Royal Gazette, Mondaq, April 2015